Friday, October 15, 2004


SYLVIA ( *** ) : Dying is an ART !!!! This brilliant movie on Sylvia Plath opens with these words . I saw this movie on DVD yesterday , and must say it left me moved , pondering , thinking , infact it ignited my Insomnia more . But its worth it. I mean , when I rented the DVD - I went by the description at the back cover and what I knew about this great poet. I came home and surfed the net for the reviews on this movie. To my surprise , not many review except the "New York Times " had great words on this movie. But F*** All the reviews and the critics. I think this is one of the best movies which I have seen in recent time. Gwyneth Paltrows acting and he way of emoting the distrubed yet brilliant mind of Sylvia plath is simply amazing !! Infact after watching the movie I realised why it hasnt got great reviews. Simply put. The movie is different and has a genuine true to life ( its a bio pic and based on facts ) feel to it. Watch out for the scene where Sylvia invites Ted Hughes to her house ( at the end of the movie ) . She has left her husband ( Ted ) house and is living alone with her kids in an apartment. Out of sheer boredom , complexity ,and love for her husband she invites him over. Gets dressed like her fabulous old self and greets him .They make love and the best scene an piece of acting follows. When Sylvia asks him to leave " the other women " and to start life afresh with her. I thought Gwyneth was simply brilliant in that scene. WOW !!! This movie will touch you on many levels. Watch it to be moved and do check out the movie site www.sylviamovie.com on great info on Sylvia, Movie and more ...

No comments: