Tuesday, June 22, 2004

What I did 4 years ago ???

For those of you who are wondering , what I did 4 years back ( at the age of 20 ) and how I eventually landed up in the IT and Web Solutions Marketing field...
Well here is a brief on how it all started for me..

I was pursuing BCA( Bachelors in Computer Applications ) and CA ( Chartered Accountancy ~ Indian equivalent of an American CPA )..I know this is a weird combination..but this is how I landed up after school..
One leg in Computers and One leg in Finance and accounts..
However after passing my 1st year papers of CA , I realised I didnt have my heart and soul in Finance and Accounts.
Hence I left CA mid-way much to the horror of my parents and freinds.
Not that I wasnt good in Accounts or Commerce...infact I was very good in Accounts and commerce ( I got above 90% in these subjects in my 12th Board exams ) and even at the CA level , which is very tough..I was good in accounts...but as thay say..somethings are destined..

Ok..now what...I had to do something along with my BCA...hence I joined my cousin brother..who was Marketing ..by marketing I mean physical Marketing ..Sharbats , Thandais and more then 500 ayurvedic medicines of a family owned Ayurvedic company called " Dindayal" .
I suggested my cousin " Sumit " the idea of selling these products via the Internet Shopping Malls on Popular portals like Rediff.com , Indiatimes.com , Indiainfo.com ( it was big then..then went bust..now they have recovered) , Indya.com and many others

I used to coordinate practically ALL the activites involved in Online Selling..
- Coordinate product placements on the web stores
- Finalizing pricing and promotions
- Handling Logistics and shipping
- In big seasons like Diwali , Holi , etc..I sometimes even used to pack the products with my staff..to ensure a good gift delivery

A sample of one such promotion which I coordinated at the time of Holi is on the link

rediff.com: Shopping


The webstore with Rediff for Dindayal , looked something like this...
Rediff.com :Dindayal

The project was a decent success..since we ventured into it at the time of dot com boom and perhaps were the 1st company in India to sell products like Sharbats , Thandais , Dry fruits , Religious Pooja kits , Weigth Reduction Ayurvedic medicine online..through web stores...

THIS STARTED MY HUGE LOVE FOR INTERNET AND USING IT FOR EXPANSION FOR ANY BUSINESS.

And in pursuing this passion further , I parted with Kamayani Aushadhi ( who marketed the products online on behalf of Dindayal) and started working as a FULL TIME Consultant for a start up IT and Web Solutions company based in Dallas Texas and with an offshore development center in New Delhi.

Currently , I am still working as a consultant with this company and have worked on more then 50+ Web and IT projects from across 5 countries ( USA , UK , Australia , UAE , Canada ) with them.

Also my current passions include researching online on technology , music , movies , digital devices , Laetitia Casta ( she is the only women who comes in my dreams !!! )

I will touch on more fascinating stories from my ealier years in my future posts on this journal....!!!!

No comments: